It was like Christmas, I had hoped they would arrive, as the other had come earlier in the week and as they were “dry root” had been soaking in water since Thursday evening. These were delivered in perfect condition, in individually sealed bags- rootsm, soil the works. So Friday involved the finally planting plan and preparation and digging. In total I planted around 40 trees
The previous owners had planted a few palms at the front, a few unsuccessful evergreens at the back and a few citrus trees (2 dwarf orange, a lemon and a lime). In addition we had planted a lemon tree (for Griff) last year and a dwarf mango, which was a house warming gift, but had always planned to expand this. With the intentions to move the tanks and our visit from the local land care we decided more screening on the roadside would be nice. Particularly along the pig pen, as this could provide more shade. As well as expanding the “mini orchid” surrounding the Enviro tank- a soak away from recycled water. But we decided that if we planted there had to be a purpose, a benefit- shade, wind break, scent, FRUIT! Think this is what they call edible landscaping.
So to add to the native varieties sourced from the Landcare- unfortunately some of these (35 originally) had not weathered too well in their tubes on the patio. This may or may not have had something to do with Madog’s insistence on marking them! I had ordered 5 Lychees, 3 Carob (yes the dog chocolate stuff), 2 Cumquat (which turned out to be 3- thanks Rockies Nursery), 2 Brazilian cherries, 2 Passion fruit, a Pomegranate, a Mulberry, a Macadamia nut, a Cardamom and a Ginger (well its not exactly a tree).
The others being inside, so I tried to space them evenly only to find a bald or obvious circle in the grass every few meters (where I was planning to plant). It was in keeping with the alignment of existing palms along the front of the house, whilst allowing the mower to run between it and the fence (when it is working). So I begun to dig, was clearly a previous planting spot… one or two still had pots in them! No wonder the few remaining trees at the far end of the garden didn’t survive. The previous owners had planted trees all the way along, just they hadn’t grown as they had left rubbish and plastic in the holes, so the roots didn’t stand a chance!
I know it is going to take a few years before we see the benefits of these trees, but the sooner we plant them the better.
I did manage some other gardening on Sunday. Since the rain appears to have stopped I took the opportunity some weeding and transplanting done. Best time is before it dries out, as the weeds tend to come out easier and new plants/seedlings don’t seem to get so stressed, as they have nice moist soil.